A Unity March was held in Thibodaux today to peacefully protest racial injustice in the United States and to promote unity for all people of all races.
The march had a large turnout and there were no reports of violence, as locals made their case for equality. The Thibodaux Police Department monitored the march and ensured that there were no incidents.
Kirsten Angelette, President of Nicholls State University's SPA, said the event was a success.
"Today, we had a great turnout for the Unity March in Thibodaux," she said. "After the march, we gathered together to amplify our voices for the Black Community. I hope to see the community come together like we did today."
The march was one of thousands of its kind that have occurred in the United States since the death of George Floyd, a black man in Minnesota who was killed by a police officer, despite being unarmed. The officers involved in that incident have all been charged, including the lead offender being given second-degree murder.
See photos from the Thibodaux event.
Photos 1-5 by ANGELLE LEGENDRE | LAFOURCHE GAZETTE. Photos 6-10 by Misty McElroy and TPD.
- Parish Government working with DOTD, Barriere Construction about long grass on 3235 median
- LHSAA draft: No football games until Phase 4 of economic re-opening
- Monday COVID update gives another large batch of COVID cases to Louisiana
- COURTNEY MOUSSEAU
- OPINION: It's a new chapter in our COVID response; let's make the best of it ... together
- TERRY CHERAMIE
- JEANETTE GUIDRY
- Kelly Preston, actor and wife of John Travolta, dies at 57
- Beloved South Lafourche teacher remembered for her love for her students
- Several Lafourche schools to receive free breakfast/lunch for ALL students in 2020-2021
- Lafourche Parish Schools release "Back to School" online form for parents
- China says package of imported shrimp contained COVID-19; stateside scientists say food-based spread 'highly unlikely'
- 0 local nursing home residents contracted COVID last week, though employees were among new positive cases
- Run-Off set for vacant school board set, but winner to be crowned without contest
- Local school board candidate drops out of weekend election
- Full Lafourche Parish Election Results
- LHSAA says it's "fully committed" to high school athletics in 2020-2021
- REPORTS: Governor to issue mask mandate, tightened restrictions at press conference